XSL and Formatting Objects
Formatting Objects aka XSL-FO is a page description language published by W3C in XML format and is now in version 1.1. The main field of application is the automatic generation of PDF documents from XML data using XSLT. The target format is thereby not limited to PDF, with the creation of PostScript, RTF, WordML and MIF (Maker Interchange Format) also possible and undergoing further expansion. In the workshop, participants will learn the most basic XSL-FO elements such as graphics, tables and lists.
However, advanced use cases such as tables of contents, alternating page layouts and PDF bookmarks will also be covered. You can then generate PDF documents by linking XML files and XSL-FO elements using XSL Stylesheets.
All chapters go into further detail using a variety of exercises.
- You will learn how to create PDF documents using simple means and open standards (XML, XSLT, XSL-FO and XPath) and open source tools (FOP) from XML files.
- After the training, you will be able to present your XML files in the form of PDF documents.
You would like to implement an XML application with Formatting Objects or are interested in creating PDFs from XML documents.
Overview of XSL
- XSL basics (XSLT, XSL-FO, XPATH)
- Market overview of formatter (FOP, XEP, XSL Formatter, FOray)
Introduction to Formatting Objects
- Simple page layout with a simple page master
- Paragraphs, text markup, text boxes and letters
- Graphics, foreign objects (SVG, MathML), tables and lists
- Leadership lines, page numbers, floats
- Linking, footnotes and living column titles
- Expansions to the specification (round "corners", document info and access protection)
- Internationalization (hyphenation)
- Additional fonts
- Orphans, widows and vertical wedge
- Changing page templates within a document
- Half title, various page templates for left and right
- Alternate headers, footers and marginalia
- Change bars
- Back of the book index
- Multiple flow ranges
- Multi-page tables with subtotals and "cont." notes
XSL for Transformations (XSLT)
- XSLT and XSL-FO? How do they belong together?
- XSLT – The Basics
- Generating PDF documents using XSLT
Prior knowledge from XML Training or similar prior knowledge.
Our Quality Promise
Request an inhouse training
Guarantee of quality
Following completion by the participants, every single training course is assessed at the levels
- suitability of the training room,
- suitability of the workplace,
- functionality of the technical equipment, and
- satisfaction throughout the entire course / seminar,
and recorded in our "TRIVALUATION" feedback system for quality assurance purposes. This enables us to consistently ensure the high quality and satisfaction of our valued customers. We really appreciate the overall rating of 9.3 from 10 points awarded by our many enthusiastic customers.
Trivadis guarantees the success of your training. Having completed the course / seminar, do you have any questions about the practical aspects? Would you like to repeat any of the exercises in the lab environment?
Our success guarantee allows you to repeat individual days, or even the entire training course, free of charge for up to 6 months after attending a training course. You bring with you the course materials from the previous training course.